Additional Meetings and Functions 2023
A range of additional meetings and social functions will be held during the conference. ADU forms the central pillar of “Africa Week”, which comprises a full week of satellite events on research, education, infrastructure, sustainable development, capacity building and energy.
This page will be updated as further information about each event becomes available.
All queries contact Angelique Julien
Sunday 3 September
- Africa Week 2023 Welcome Reception – UMA Restaurant, Pan Pacific Hotel | 17:30 to 19:30
*By invitation only.
Monday 4 September
- Australia Africa Universities Network (AAUN) Public Engagement Forum – Curtin University, 137 St. Georges Terrace, Perth CBD | 08:30 to17:00 . Registration required, please refer to the following for more details: http://aaun.edu.au/2023/06/aaun-annual-australia-forum-and-agm-2023/
- Namibia Investment Promotion Development Board (NIPDP) event – Meetings on 5 ( Room 5, 6 and 7), Level 5, Pan Pacific Hotel | 16:30 to 18:30 (Timings subject to changes)
Australia-Africa Minerals and Energy Group (AAMEG), Paydirt Media and Hunter & Co. invite you to hear from the Government of Namibia, represented by the CEO of the Namibia Investment Promotion Development Board (NIPDP), Ms Nangula Uaandja, on Green Energy and Value Addition in Namibia.
Tuesday 5 September
- Welcome Reception – Stage, Pan Pacific Perth
*All ADU delegates welcome
Sponsored by ASX
Wednesday 6 September
- Beyond Borders: Exploring the HSS Model’s Global Influence in African Mining – Boardroom (Conference Floor /C level), Pan Pacific Perth | 10:30 to 11:30
In this panel, we will explore the health, safety and security (HSS) model in an African mining context. What at times can seem like a tenuous link between these functions, has become a standard across the sector. But is it still fit for purpose? Join us as we hear medical, insurance and security perspectives in answering questions around the HSS model supporting whole mine operations, model limitations and when it won’t work, considerations supporting workers travelling to and from sites, and more.
Sponsored by World Travel Protection.
Free registration for all ADU delegates. RSVP HERE TO SECURE YOUR SEAT.
- Renewable Energy in Mining – Novotel Perth Langley (Silver room) | 15:00 to 16:00
This event, hosted by Release by Scatec, will focus on the critical role of renewable energy solutions in revolutionizing the mining industry across Africa. To secure your spot at this exclusive event, kindly RSVP by Friday 1 September using the following link:Free registration for all ADU delegates. RSVP HERE
- Cocktail Function – Exhibition Area, sponsored by Vivo Energy
*All ADU delegates welcome
Sponsored by Vivo Energy
Thursday 7 September
The Power of Partnerships: Africa and Australia Working Together for Critical Minerals – Novotel Perth Langley (Silver room) | 6.45am to 8.10am
The world’s hunger for critical minerals has brought the resource rich continent of Africa into sharp focus in recent years. In this session, Peter Dawson – Lycopodium’s Director of Strategy & Corporate Development, will host a panel featuring; Sherif Andrawes – BDO’s Head of Global Natural Resources, Tim Carstens – Managing Director at Base Resources, Simon Hay – Managing Director and CEO of Leo Lithium and Karl Cicanese – Managing Director at Lycopodium Minerals.
The panel will explore the power of the Africa and Australia partnership, and their multilateral effort in securing the critical minerals supply chain. RSVP TO Perth.email@example.com
Sponsored by BDO and Lycopodium Minerals
- South African Investment Lunch sponsored by Orion Minerals – Meetings on 5 ( Room 5, 6 and 7), Level 5, Pan Pacific Hotel | 13:00 to 14:30 (Timings subject to changes)
*Free attendance, first in, best dressed. All ADU delegates welcome.
- ESG and the Future of African Development – Panel Discussion – Boardroom (Conference Level), Pan Pacific Hotel | 14:00 – 15:00
*first in, best dressed
- AAMEG Africa Awards Ceremony
18:00 (tbc) onwards – Further details regarding the 2023 Africa Awards can be viewed here
- 19:00 (tbc) onwards – AAMEG Awards Cocktail Function, Exhibition Area, sponsored by wood.
Africa Down Under Football Cup
16:00 to 19:00 *timing subject to change – Wellington Square, Perth
Come and support the football cup with competing teams from Perth’s African Communities
Friday 8 September
- Updates from the Bribery Prevention Network – critical developments for your business in the anti-corruption landscape – Boardroom (Conference Floor /C level), Pan Pacific Perth | 08:00 to 09:00
Join representatives from the Bribery Prevention Network who will share critical legislative, judicial and policy updates in the anti-bribery and corruption space that will have implications for Australian businesses operating at home and in Africa. The session will highlight practical tools and resources for Australian business to prevent, detect and address bribery and corruption and promote a culture of compliance.
Hear directly from experts from the following organisations:
- Australian Federal Police
- Minerals Council of Australia
- Transparency International Australia
- UN Global Compact Network Australia
*All ADU delegates welcome, first in, best dressed
- Political Risk Insurance Panel Discussion – Novotel Perth Langley (Silver room) | 8.30am to 10am
The evolving political risk threats facing mining projects in Africa today.
Hosted by Gallagher, AXA XL, Chubb, Control Risks and Pangea-Risks
***BY INVITATION ONLY***
Australia-Africa Mining and METS Roundtable – Presented by Austrade – The Board Room, Novotel Langley Hotel, Friday 8 September, 11:30 am – 1:15 pm
The Australian Trade and Investment Commission (Austrade) is pleased to bring together senior stakeholders and industry within the Australia-Africa mining sector to hear briefings on Austrade’s priorities and strategy in the region and discuss trends and opportunities in the mining sector in Africa, including net zero and sustainable mining. This roundtable will be opened by Austrade’s Deputy CEO for Trade and Investment, Daniel Boyer and will include perspectives from Austrade’s Trade Commissioner to Africa, Scott Morriss and Austrade’s General Manager, Middle East and Africa, Bryony Hilless.
This is a registration only event. Please contact Henry Camacho (Henry.Camacho@austrade.gov.au) to register.
- The Australia Zambia Business Council (AZBC) – Exploring Mining Opportunities in Zambia: Regulations, Investment, and Innovation – Boardroom (Conference Level), Pan Pacific Hotel | 10:45 – 12:15
Exploring Mining Opportunities in Zambia: Regulations, Investment, and Innovation
Further information can be downloaded here
- Zimbabwe’s Glitter Is More Than Gold – Novotel Perth Langley (Silver room) 12:30 – 14:30
Come and experience Zimbabwe’s glitter! Join the Zimbabwe Investment and Development Agency (ZIDA) to explore the undiscovered, the unexplored potential of our mining and green energy sectors. Don’t miss this golden opportunity to invest in a country with one of the world’s largest reserves of rare earth minerals. RSVP now or contact Rudo Chinyani or Tapindwa Chipunza for more details.
- Australia Africa Diaspora Investment Forum – Board Room (Conference Level), Pan Pacific Hotel | 17:30 – 20:30
Fostering partnerships and investment opportunities for Diaspora owned SMEs in Renewable Energy, HealthTech and AgriTech operating in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA)
*Online Registration required